Efficiency of different teaching styles, classroom dynamics

Image via Corbin Images

Chandler Goldreyer, Staff Writer

In high school, the teacher a student gets is very important. When students get their schedules and tell people what teachers they have, they are often told things like, “Oh! That’s a good teacher. I loved being in her class.” or “Oof. You got him? He made it really unbearable.”

Students talk to their peers that are taking the same classes as they are, that have a similar level of intelligence and similar interests as themselves, and they may have a completely different experience because they have a different teacher. Students may find the class easy and interesting. They may find it difficult and hard to pay attention to. When studying or talking about classwork, someone might say, “We have to do that assignment too, but she showed it to us like this.

Some teachers make sure students mostly understand the subject material from their lecture. Some teachers give off the information in lecture and let students further exercise their understanding with worksheets. Some teachers answer questions readily. Some tell students to look it up. To teach as a teacher? Or to teach kids to learn? That seems to be the main difference between teachers, not to mention the ways that personality can affect a teacher’s influence on the class.

As teachers, it seems to be their jobs to teach the subject students need to know. So, when a teacher zooms through a PowerPoint and tells the class to finish some worksheets, it may not feel like they are teaching. However, it’s important for students to learn how to apply the information they’ve been given. This method of teaching does leave a lot of room for confusion, though. As long as the teacher is understanding and patient and allows students to ask individual questions, this method is efficient enough. They have to have a good balance of making sure the students know the material while also letting them exercise their own skills.

Being patient, understanding, and aware that not everyone in the room is going to be good at or enjoy the subject material are important things to keep in mind for any teacher. To have an efficient classroom dynamic, there must be at least a small amount of mutual human respect. For students, it is their job to understand that while learning something may sometimes be frustrating or uninteresting, showing respect is key. Trying to get a group of teenagers to absorb academic material isn’t a walk in the park. As long as both parties put in effort, progress can be made.

The best option for students is for them to roll with what they have been dealt. The teacher’s PowerPoints are too vague or too fast? They don’t answer questions very well? See another teacher for tutorials. Students can make a group chat with students in other class so they can discuss classwork. Talk to students with another teacher and exchange information. If they’re worried about their grade and don’t think it can be helped, they shouldn’t be afraid to get a schedule change.

At Foster, students are not allowed to switch teachers unless there is a serious issue, like bullying. However, they can switch from an AP or Dual class to Pre-AP or Academic, or from Pre-AP to Academic. If a student’s class is optional, feel free to take another class. There’s no shame in making one’s school experience the best it can be, whether the person is a student or a teacher.