Preview of Culture Week for Black History Month

Clubs combine efforts to bring awareness to various cultures

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yasmine Ibrahim and Alyssa Rodriguez

This week, starting on Tuesday, February 12, will bring huge awareness of black history by participating in “Culture Week,” which will include “Blackout Day” on Tuesday, where the students will wear the color black with a performance from the choir during lunch. For “Black Love Day” students will wear pink and red, in honor of Valentine’s Day. The next day, for “90’s Day,” students get to dress from the 1990’s, and, on top of that, members ofthe Asian American Club will perform a hip hop dance during lunches. For the final day, students will wear African traditional clothing or other cultural attire, for “African Attire Day,” which will also be followed by a dance performance from ASA and band students playing the drums.

Black History Month is in February to celebrate African American history and culture. Black History Month began as Negro History Week in 1926 and then became a month long celebration in 1976.

A major attribute to Black History month would be Carter G. Woodson. Woodson was a American historian, journalist and author. When he created Negro History Week, he made it so it could fall on the same week as Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass’ birthdays.

“In celebrating Black History Month, we can seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history,” President Gerald Ford once said.

Many milestones and aspects contribute to Black History Month. Sseveral students have been working very hard to draw attention to this special celebration.

Just last week, former President Barack Obama, was voted the historical black figure of the week. In addition to that, President of the African Students Association, senior Beluchi Igboanugo and the other students in the club, have successfully created a week of awareness and celebration of various cultures.