How stress affects students

Back to Article
Back to Article

How stress affects students

Photo courtesy of Eric via Flickr CC

Photo courtesy of Eric via Flickr CC

Photo courtesy of Eric via Flickr CC

Makayla Quinones, Staff Writer

Stress continues to be a major issue in anyone’s daily life in today’s society, but is it really healthy to be stressed at such a young age due to school? The countless worksheets, projects, and tests that teachers cram into one week can really put a toll on students.

Although teachers may want to point fingers at the procrastinators in the world and blame them for their “wrong doing,” this still gives no excuse for educators to expect to give students assignments after assignments that eventually pile up, to be all neatly finished in such a short notice.

Tests can be a whole different level of stress. Youth spend hours and hours studying for an exam that could make or break them. For example, STAAR tests do nothing but stress students out because they are being told that if they don’t pass this test then they can’t graduate or move up to the next level in their education all based on this one test that determines their entire intelligence.

“Stress affects me by making me mess up a lot especially when I try to focus hard on something, makes me overthink often and it sometimes gives me anxiety when its a bunch of stress,” junior Genesis Castillo said.

While the little things begin to pile up onto a student’s plate of stress, in the long term it could eventually get more serious and turn into “chronic” or “toxic” stress. Stress is very much like a chain reaction, students experiencing a stressful event, such as an exam, send off a distress signal to the hypothalamus that then acts as a command center communicating with the rest of the body and often the signal ends up in the nervous system, signaling to flee or fight. This leads to increased heart rate, rush of adrenaline, deeper intake of oxygen, and heightened senses.

With chronic stress as an option of long term effects, it affects students brains with ultimately killing their brain cells. If that doesn’t apply damage already, some long term body effects have been studied to put a high risk of, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. This gives students even more long term situations to have to think and worry about, and being this young thinking about all of this adds stress itself.

“Stress is ruining my life as a senior,” senior Gabriela De La Rosa said. “I’m tired all the time and just want to sleep.”