Foster Flyer

Filed under Features

Featured Falcon: Aubrey Martin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Featured Falcon: Aubrey Martin

photo credit to @pierrelefleur via instagram

Many students like to go with the flow and follow through with four years of high school. However, other students, like senior Aubrey Martin, plan ahead and get their high school career over with to begin a new chapter in life. Martin is 17 and graduating in only three years.

She chose this path to get ahead in her life as quickly as possible.

“I will most likely move to New York after high school, not directly in the heart of NYC because rent is very exorbitant, but somewhere in the outskirts,” Martin said. “I want to really focus on what I want to do. Makeup has always been a passion of mine, but this year I realized how many hobbies I have and how I should, instead just focusing on one specific, I should find other things that intrigue me as well.”

She chose New York for many reasons.

“Every time I tell someone this I always get the usual, ‘It’s so expensive,’ ‘You’re wasting so much money,’ but you have to understand every single person thrives off of different energy,
she said. “For me, I gravitate towards isolation and the essence of a busy city. In a way, my surroundings affect my mood and Houston just doesn’t suit me and the person I want to grow to be. Like I said I like my isolation and I feel in New York you’re all alone but never alone at the same time.”

People naturally want to find the fastest way out of a stressed and tiring environment to finally reach their desired atmosphere. When something doesn’t feel quite right or good anymore, people should strategize and look toward a different view of life.

Martin also thinks the education system doesn’t fit what she wants in the future, so university is not for her. She believes that fine arts and creators are the new careers that can help the world. 

“I decided to graduate early because I felt tired of being stuck,” Martin said. “I cannot do routines. Going to school ever since I was 5 from the same time 9 months out of the year has definitely left a dent in who I am. Repetition makes me bored and frustrated with my own self. I start to slack off and give up.”

As students move on to their life-long careers and professions, they often wonder where they see themselves in ten years time. 

“I never know what I’ll even be doing in 10 months,” Martin said. “My life is very sporadic due to me changing my mind a lot last minute. I hope to be independent and a strong person, even more than I am today. I also hope to be involved with environmentalist and programs that are helping the earth.”

Many know Aubrey Martin as a makeup artist and a stylish student, but not many know about her other passions.

“Most people know me as a makeup artist or someone that likes to do makeup, but ever since I was 7 years old, I’ve been outrageously drawn to the ocean and it’s marine ecosystems,” Martin said. “I used to own all kinds of books about the ocean and marine life, and read them front to back. I also attended marine biology camps during the summer because the ocean was fascinating to me. To know that we have only discovered 2% of the ocean is absurd. I’ve also always have had a passion to protect the environment and help with animal rights. Aside from those, I have grown up to be very influenced by music and art by my parents. My dad being a guitar player has always opened me up to more hobbies like playing an instrument and the beauty of music, while my mom being creative and an amazing artist has shown me photography and painting and dancing.” 

Based on her high school experience, she wants people to know that you should always be aware of your actions and be kind to others.

“Throughout junior high and high school, I’ve had so many people talk horrible about me and it’s affected the way I am today,” she said. “There’s no point in making someone feel worse or making fun of someone for the way they are. Instead of tearing down others, you should always find a way to say something positive about someone. You shouldn’t judge someone because the way they dress, do their makeup, talk, their body weight, their passions,who they like, etc., and that’s something I see every day at school. I’ve met a few amazing people that no matter the way I am, they will always say hi or smile and that’s what I remember the most.”