Foster Flyer

Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Tamara Wright

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher of the Year: Mrs. Tamara Wright

Yasmine Ibrahim and Alyssa Rodriguez

Time goes by fast when somebody enjoys their profession. It can be tough having to juggle teaching Biology, AP Environmental Science and approving service hours, but Mrs. Tamara Wright still managed to find a way to earn the title of being the Teacher of the Year.

“During a faculty meeting on February 14 is when they had announced that I was the Teacher of the Year,” Mrs. Wright said. “I was very honored that my fellow teachers saw me as a great teacher.”

For as long as she could remember, science had always been a never-ending interest of hers. She attended University of Nebraska, which is where she explored her different options of science fields, and decided she wanted to become a respiratory therapist.

I loved the educating part of being a respiratory, so [I] decided to be a science teacher,” Mrs. Wright said.

Throughout the seven years of being in the classroom, she has left an impact on several students that she’s taught. 

“There’s been so many highlights while teaching at our school, but, one of my favorite ones was when one of my AP Environmental Science students told me that they were going to switch from Petroleum Engineering to Environmental Engineering because of all they learned in my class,” she said. “She just graduated and told me over the summer that she is working in the field and loves it.”

Teaching isn’t something that can be excelled overnight; it takes time and patience. Even if a teacher is a student favorite, there’s always room for improvement.

“Of course, there are some difficult moments when teaching, but, as a teacher, you work through them and look for other ways to get the information to stick with students,” she said.

Teaching is something Mrs. Wright is very passionate about, but there can always be bad days. The ways she gets through bad days is very motivational.

“Be flexible and be able to roll with the punches, also always strive to be great, but understand that you will not get there overnight,” Mrs. Wright said. “Learn from the no so great lessons and apply what you learn to your next lesson so it may be great.”

Yasmine Ibrahim, Staffer

Hey guys, my name is Yasmine Ibrahim, I'm a junior and this year is my second year part of the magazine staff. Ever since I've joined the staff, my liking...

Alyssa Rodriguez, Staffer

My name is Alyssa Rodriguez. I’m a junior and I am a Foster High School staff writer/photographer. I joined journalism my freshman year which inspired...