Foster Flyer

Featured Falcon: Mrs. Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Featured Falcon: Mrs. Day

Mrs. Day posing in front of her purple Jeep before chaperoning at Foster's Prom.

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Day

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Day

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Day

Chandler Goldreyer, Staff Writer

Every school has a librarian and, for Foster, it is Mrs. Day.

Mrs. Day went to a Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, Georgia. She got her bachelor’s degree at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, her master’s degree in teaching at Queens University of Charlotte, and her master’s degree in Library Science from University of North Texas.

She wasn’t always a librarian, though. To be a librarian, she had to have a Master’s Degree and teaching experience, so before she was a librarian, she was a teacher.

“I taught for four years in elementary school,” Mrs. Day said. “And then when I had my children, I stayed home for a little while with them.”

Originally, her plan was never to become a librarian. She had just wanted to be a teacher, but then life changed.

“When I stopped staying home with my children, I wanted to go back to a school setting but not the classroom, specifically,” Mrs. Day said.

She had to find a new job that she would like andthat she was qualified for, or that she could become qualified for without impeding too much on her life.

“I tried to think about the things that I liked about the classroom, and find a career that more focused on those things,” Mrs. Day said. “And so I did some internet searching and came across Library Science and there was an online degree I could do while I worked, and from my house, and that’s how I made my decision.”

The plan was perfect. She already had a Master’s degree and teaching experience. She just needed to earn her Master’s in Library Science. She could continue to work and be with her family while she earned her Master’s degree online.

Not all of her learning was done online, though.

“Part of my learning was being inside a library,” Mrs. Day said. “When I started with Lamar CISD, in 2011, at Wertheimer Middle School, I actually started on an Emergency Certification, which was right before I was finished. So I started before I finished my program, and so, part of my learning was actually like, on-the-job learning. So, I was learning [on-the job] and being schooled at the same time, so that was interesting.”

While she didn’t initially think she was going to end up here, she loves her job here at Foster.

“I never pictured myself in high school,” Mrs. Day said. “I didn’t really know because all my experience was with the younger kids. I didn’t really know it would fit, but I really like it. There’s so many, so many things that I like about this job, and that’s a biggie.”

She actually prefers being a librarian at Foster to being a librarian with the younger kids at Wertheimer. Some of the differences are actually her favorite parts of the job.

“My favorite thing about being the librarian at Foster is getting to know the kids,” Mrs. Day said. “That was an opportunity I never had at the middle school level. I was doing so much instruction at the middle school level, and I would see kids on a bi-weekly basis, but now I see kids much more often. I have a chance to have actual conversations with them, and the kids that come in here are the kids that want to be in here. That’s cool.” 

Besides being able to talk to students, she also likes giving activities for students to take part in if they choose. This is a contrast to the mandatory lesson and book checkout every other week back at Wertheimer.

It’s much more relaxed and allows me to kind of offer some other things as well,” Mrs. Day said. “Things that are more fun and more enrichment than necessity, and I love that. That’s one of the things I really like about this atmosphere.”

In the library, Mrs. Day offers multiple card and board games to play, coloring sheets, building toys, charging stations and more. Students are welcome to hang out in the library before school, during advisory, or during their off period.

Chandler Goldreyer, Staffer

My name is Chandler Goldreyer and I’m a staff writer for the Foster Flyer. I’m a senior and I’m an active member of the Foster High School Choir....