Secret lives of teachers

Teachers give us the scoop on their lives outside of school.

Kenedy May, Writer

Mr. Guevarra

What does a regular weekend look like for you?

“Clean the house, yard work, laundry, and when I’m done check papers while binge watching and of course Redbox.”

What is your favorite show to binge watch?

“So, the last one I binge watched in full was Heart of Dixie and right now I’m watching a sci-fi on Netflix. I also watched Stranger Things.”

What is one thing about you that your students don’t know but you wish they did?

“I only had one girlfriend and now she’s my wife of 28 years.”

If you had a lane ticket to go anywhere around the world where would you go and why?

“You know what I’d go to Iceland because I want to see the northern lights, but the thing is I think the best time to see the northern lights is during school in the fall.”

Mrs. May

What is one thing about your job that people think you can do?

“Gosh I don’t know…. maybe that we (counselors) can’t fix everything!”

“Sleeping late, if I have to do yard work I’ll do yard work. I like to cook and just spend time with my family.”

If you had a plane ticket to go anywhere around the world, where would you go and why?

“To Europe because I’ve been once, and I want to go back and spend more time there, or any island because I love the beach.”

What is your favorite high school memory?

“Probably football season in the fall because in Ohio the weather would change, and it was really fun.”

Sra. Salazar

What is one thing that your students don’t know about you, but you wish they did?

“Well I’m studying to be a counselor and that sort of thing is really important, mental health and all that.”

Do you speak Spanish outside school, like in your home?

“Not all the time, I speak Spanish with my parents sometimes and I speak Spanish sometimes wherever I can, but no Spanish is not the first language in our home.”

If you could give your students advice from your high school experience what would it be?

“To not let the experiences in high school to define you. That there is a lot more to come and that college is so much better than high school because its where you really find yourself.”

When you were in high school, did you know you wanted to be a teacher?

“I wanted to be a teacher since I was four years old. The only other thing I wanted to be was a nurse, but I became a teacher!”

Coach McConnell

What do you like to do for fun?

“I like to play a lot of golf and watch sports with my coaching buddies.”

What is one thing about you that your students don’t know but you wish they did?

“I was an electrician before I was a teacher, so I really enjoy construction and things like that.”

What’s your favorite football team?

“Cowboys and the Aggies.”

What was your favorite high school memory?

“Winning districts in football. We weren’t allowed to play two sports at one time and at my school golf season was also in the fall, so I played football.”

Mr. Thielmann

“I still get up about 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning, I go out and I check my cattle and my fences. I do that because its cooler in the morning and they look healthier in the morning. I also do the chores around the house.”

What time do you go to bed since you wake up so early?

“Around 10:30, so not too late.”

Do you use what you teach in your ag classes in your everyday life?

“Absolutely, every day because I teach animal science I try to live what I teach. Drawing blood or manual palpation, I practice all those things at home with my own livestock.”

“My favorite high school memory was probably, I was in FFA and I remember we did a lot of things as freshmen. As a freshman we had an ag teacher that every Friday we would go out back by the shop and play football.”