Humans of Foster: Lia Castillo

Senior, Lia Castillo, tells us about her year living in Hawaii.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Humans of Foster: Lia Castillo

Kenedy May, Writer

One foot in front of the other, right foot left foot repeat. It seems simple and it is, except when you’re boarding a plane to another state after living in Texas for seventeen years. This was Lia Castillo’s new life, she was moving to Hawaii her junior year of high school because her mom found a better job there. She was feeling a rush of multiple emotions all at once: nervous, excited, scared, curious. Even more nerve-wracking was the fact that her first day of school at her new high school in Maui was only a week away.

“I was super anxious and nervous, and I didn’t talk to many people because it took a while for me to warm-up to it,” Castillo said. “The first day was only freshmen and new kids, so I didn’t have anyone to talk to except for the new kids and there was only one new kid in my grade.”

Castillo was thrown into a completely different life and way of living when she moved to Maui with her parents, but that didn’t stop her from joining the volleyball and softball teams and going to football games like she would back home.

“The sports and football games were a lot less competitive in Hawaii,” Castillo said. “The football games were also less fun there because there wasn’t a student section, so you just sat with whoever you went with and there wasn’t a lot of cheering.”

It took Castillo a little more than three months to finally feel comfortable with her new home where she finally felt comfortable with her schedule and the completely different surroundings. Her life in school was the hardest to adjust to since there was no air conditioning, just fans and open windows. There was also less technology which made all homework done out of textbooks. The teaching style was also a difficult adjustment for her since most of it was class period long videos and she had to take notes the whole time. Not only were her classes and daily routine in school different, but the people there were different as well.

“They’re judgmental,” Castillo said. “When they hear something about you they believe it’s true. Since the island is small, it’s likely that everyone hears about it. They’re not the most welcoming, but once you get to know them, they can be.