Club Spotlight: WIT interviews

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: WIT interviews

Jordan Leighty, Writer

The interview process was one of the major factors that determined whether or not an applicant was accepted into the WIT program, a STEM club funded by Texas A&M and Nuclear Power Institute(NPI). The sponsor Mr. Guevarra gave each person around a two to three minute interview to understand more about the applicant. 

I was so impressed on how students carry themselves,” Mr. Guevarra said. “I was just so impressed at interviewing them. I enjoy their answers and how they carried themselves. It was fun actually.” 

From an applicant’s perspective, the interview can be a little more nerve-racking. 

“I actually forgot my heels in my car, so I had to run back the second time and get my heels,” Sarah Alami, a junior, said. “Yeah that was stressful running back and forth. It was kind of chaoticI was scared about stuttering, and I did stutter I think once, but I guess it was fine.” 

The WIT applicants were told to dress professionally for the interview. 

“That means you’re taking it seriously,” Mr. Guevarra said. “Essentially so I’m here for the job, I’m here for the position. I need to sell myself so starting out with how I dressYeah, you’re selling yourself. [You] need to be your best foot forward.” 

Alami knew exactly what to discuss when she came in for her interview: she talked about her Arab background. 

“I talked about how my culture affected who I am and what tools that my culture gave me,” Alami said. Basically, I talked about how me going to a school in a developing country made me appreciate education more and the quality of education that we get here. When I was about 5 years old, we moved down thereTalk about something that makes you different don’t say what you think everyone else is going to say and don’t say what you think they want to hear.” 

Although more than 60 students applied to join WIT, the outreach program had a limit which made the decision to cut people mandatory. 

“It’s so hard because I want to take them all,” Mr. Guevarra said. “I wish they know that it breaks my heart to cut some of the students off. It’s actually hard, just like judging a contest, so you want everyone to win.” 

Somehow with the limiting number of students allowed into WIT, it makes getting accepted even more joyous. 

“I was actually really happy,” Alami said. I was proud because there were a lot of people that applied, and a lot of people did get cut. I was kind of shocked that I made it honestly. I knew that I had a good interview, I just didn’t think it was that amazing.