Ditch the Juuls

New Texas Law

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ditch the Juuls

Ria Henriquez, Staff Member

Texas is known for its conservative nature and old customs, so it’s no wonder that the news this past summer came as a shock for most native Texans, particularly those between the ages of 15 to 18.  

In June of 2019, it was announced that a new law had been approved and was set to be adopted on September 1st. This law proposed that the legal age for purchasing tobacco and nicotine products would be raised from 18 to 21. Teenagers across the state were taken aback. Considering the problem in high schools with e-cigarettes, it is presumed that the new law will make a massive change in the number of teenagers who are graduating high school tobacco- and nicotine-free. However, some teachers don’t completely agree. 

“I’m not sure if it’ll make a difference. 21 over 18,” senior English teacher Mr. Techmanski said. “I think that if anybody wants access to tobacco products, sooner or later they can acquire those products. It’s like anything. What’s problematic about the issue is that younger people don’t understand that older people are trying to look out for what’s in their best interest. Now the government is dictating it. “We’re not allowing you to touch this product until 21.” That’s what the law is saying. I’m not a smoker so I could care less. But nobody likes being told what to do so it’s almost worse. [It’ll make them want it more.] It’s human nature.” 

Students don’t seem to realize that although nicotine and tobacco don’t pose any imminent danger, in the long run they are harming themselves and the negative results will present themselves in the future. Various cases of collapsed lungs are popping up, and the teens are placing the blame on their vapes. Still, these cases aren’t enough of a wake up call.

What will it take for teenagers to realize the danger they are putting themselves in?

“I think it’s going to take somebody close to them getting hurt by vaping, and that’s when they’ll start to see themselves that vaping is dangerous and can cause potential problems,” APUSH teacher Mrs. Gabriel said.

Teenagers often make decisions without precaution and participate in activities that are considered “cool” simply to fit in. This new law is meant to restrict their access to tobacco products and help them lead a healthy and drug-free life, but whether it’ll be effective is still unknown. Only time will tell whether this law will change anything, and whether students will decide to ditch the bad habit and leave high school nicotine- and tobacco-free.