Club spotlight: Culinary Arts

Mrs. Aventurado tells about her Culinary Arts class.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club spotlight: Culinary Arts

Kenedy May, Writer

Cookies, crepes, chicken, and steak are just a few of the dishes cooked in Mrs. Aventurado’s Culinary Arts class. More advanced than the Intro to Culinary Class, but less advanced than the Practicum, Culinary 1 is a two-hour class that takes up first and second period. In this class, students cook food every week, ranging from simple entrees to full course meals like the ones they cook for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

“In a regular day we do a specific recipe that I give them,” Aventurado said. “We introduce it so, they’re way past intro, so they have to know all the equipment, what is involved, the measurements and all that stuff. So, we go over that and then we actually do the recipe. It depends, since I have them for 2 hours we usually use one or two days but it’s mainly just one day for that lab.”

Although Culinary Arts is considered a club, it isn’t a true club with specific meeting dates and times. However, it does cater for school events like to-go lunches or banquets for sports and clubs like flairs, FFA, swimming, basketball, baseball, and football. It also does competitions in the spring.

“Disney’s Cook Around the World is in April. Anybody can come,” Aventuado said, “as long as they have intro, or some type of culinary background and we cook for an hour there and they give us a specific country and we have to cook something from there. But they give us time to deicide and practice. This is our second year, we did it two years ago so its every two years that I’d like to do it but it’s a lot of money. If you win you get a plaque. We didn’t win but I think we were one of the fan favorites there. We also have to design a dessert. They give us cupcakes already, but we have to decorate them.

They also participate in a competition in February called Prostart that takes place in Dallas.

“We have to cook an entrée, an appetizer, and a dessert with only two burners and no refrigeration, so no electricity. We have an hour to plate two of each and we need to put together our own menu.”

While some people join and continue to take culinary classes just because of the amazing food, others join because they want to pursue a career in cooking whether it’s a food certification, being head chef at a high-end restaurant, or owning their own catering business. Many people have graduated and gone on to be successful in the culinary area.

“I’ve only been at Foster for 8 years, so I’ve had a few that have gone through,” Aventurado said. “I’ve had two that graduated from an art institute with a pastry certification and I have one that is about to graduate from the culinary institute in New York. There’s been a few but I have had some that are successful in restaurants, but they didn’t go all the way to get their certification.”