Band at state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Band at state

Photographer- Kaainaat Meghani

Photographer- Kaainaat Meghani

Photographer- Kaainaat Meghani

Deliyla Mendoza, Editor-in-Chief

Congratulations to the band and colorguard, making and competing state. 

Photographer- Kaainaat Meghani

Kyle Guinn- Colorguard- 12

What was your experience like?

My experience this year has been stressful but very worthwhile. I had many new experiences this year that made this season so enjoyable.

How did you prepare for it?

I made sure that I was on top of my game and practiced when I needed to so that I can focus on more than just performing the show.

What is something that you could have done better?

I could’ve focused more on the things that were worth focusing on, but I still had a good season overall

Talk about your journey.

I missed all of band camp due to being on tour with Drum Corp International (DCI) and had to come back in and learn the show very quickly. However everyone welcomed me back when I got home and everything skyrocketed from there!

Photographer- Kaainaat Meghani

Sebastian Penso- Flute Soloist- 12

What was your experience like? 

Performing at the Alamodome was really surreal, the entire band was talking about how it hadn’t hit them that we were going to state so it was honestly one of the most exciting things I’ve ever gotten to do, and walking out onto the field was really scary because of all the people staring at you but it was all worth it. 

How did you prepare for it?

Preparing for state honestly starts in August when we begin our marching season. You have to practice and memorize your music but you also have to learn how to march with the correct technique, especially if you haven’t marched before. Every practice counts, every rep counts, and you can’t take any time for granted, because all the other bands are doing the same thing as you, practicing nonstop.

What is something I could have done better? 

Honestly I don’t know. After we finished our last run of the show at state I was very content with how I performed, my solo couldn’t have gone any better. Although I think the whole band can probably agree that it was not our best run as a whole group, but that’s out of my control. Nonetheless, I’m so proud of everyone and my heart is so full, knowing that all of the hard work paid off and that we’re one of the best 5A bands in the state of Texas. There’s 245 of them after all, and we were one of 34 to go to state. 

Talk about your journey. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again band is a wild ride. There’s so many ups and downs, so many football games, so many competitions, the next day, so much music to memorize, hard etudes to learn for region band, so much music for concert season. The skinny and slender freshman kid that walked inside the seemingly giant band hall would’ve never imagined that the (now older) skinny and slender senior kid would have played a solo for his high school marching show in the Alamodome. Having made state for individual auditions my sophomore year, I was devastated when I failed to make it again the next year. However, I persevered and stuck with the life consuming activity that I still love to this day. I actually want to study music in college! It has been such a blessing to end my senior marching season with such a bang and I love each and every person in the program. Band has taught me many many things, it’s taught me how to become better at my instrument, it’s taught me how to manage my time, it’s taught me how to be responsible not just for myself but also for others, it’s taught me how to do a project in one night (oops), but most importantly- band has taught me what real friendship is. Nothing compares to the feeling of 200 people putting all of their time and effort into something that, even if we say otherwise, we love doing. The other band students have become my family and I’m so so glad that I decided to play flute in sixth grade. Even with the good, the bad, the pretty, and the ugly, I wouldn’t change the experience I had in this band program one single bit.

Photographer- Zachary Scott

Bridget- Drum Major- 12 

What was your experience like? 

My experience was amazing! I’m so grateful we were able to perform in the Alamodome! From the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out, I was in awe of the building, other bands and most importantly this amazing opportunity. I am beyond proud of each member of our band.

How did you prepare for it? 

We started preparations in late July, practicing from then to the morning of the state competition. Practice consisted of perfecting marching technique, learning how to play our show music, learning drills, and of course the tedious process of cleaning the music, drill, and technique. It was a lot of time and effort but in the end it was well worth it.

What is something you could have done better? 

Looking back on this season there’s always things I wish I could have done better, but I think that overall I really gave it my very best. If there was anything I wish I would have  dealt with better, it would have been nerves. In the end (at least for me) nerves don’t help you, they only hurt you, so it’s best to try to take a deep breath and push past them if you can. 

Talk about your journey.

My freshman year, I walked into the band hall a nervous, shy flute player, and the person who walked out of the Alamodome after running the show at state is nothing like her. This program has broken me out of my shell and allowed me to grow in ways I never would have thought possible. I’m very grateful that our directors gave me an opportunity to serve as one of the drum majors, and I’m thankful that the band members gave me the opportunity to stand in front of them everyday at practice. My four seasons in the program have been a roller coaster and I hardly recognize the person I was freshman year. However change is good, and I know I’m all the better for it.