30 minutes of heaven

Advisory Helps Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

30 minutes of heaven

Senior Insi Epo misses lunch to complete missing assignments.

Ria Henriquez, Writer

Do Students Need Advisory Back? 

Students once had 30 minutes to catch up on missing work, take retests, and study during the school day. Known as advisory, these 30 minutes made a big difference in a student’s day, allowing them to catch a breath and catch up on their schoolwork. However, advisory was taken away from us. Now students are struggling to find time during the day to work around their teachers’ schedules and their own schedule to make up missing work and to retest. The school should bring advisory back to relieve both students and teachers of the frustration caused by the lack of time to get things done. 

Students mainly need advisory to catch up on missing work. Attendance can be a problem for some students for various different reasons (i.e. frequent doctor’s appointments, dentist appointments, and school events such as UIL and club field trips) and completing their missing assignments can be a hassle. Advisory was an essential part of a student’s day, giving students time to complete assignments without disrupting their other classes, and we desperately need it back. Now teachers have to stay after school to help students complete all assignments that were missed, or students will miss their lunch period to complete these assignments. Sometimes students can’t find time at all because they ride the bus to and from school, leaving them no choice but to miss part of their other classes. Advisory would allow students to manage their time more efficiently and go about their day with no disruptions. 

Senior Annie La completes her work at lunch and has no time to relax and eat.

Not having advisory has also put a strain on students and their academic abilities. Students were used to having their 30 minute break to settle down and relax. Seven classes back to back can be overwhelming for some, and advisory gave them the chance to take a breather. After constant studying, learning, and stressing, students should be allowed to take a break from it all. This year’s juniors and seniors were allowed the privilege of advisory for their first year or 2 years of high school. However, the classes of ‘21 and ‘22 had to come in knowing no such thing. From the start they had to go from class to class, without a break, without a chance to simply let their brain rest. Not having a break negatively impacts a student’s ability to perform well on their assessments; the strain on their cognitive skills can lead to a lack of motivation and effort. Therefore, it is up to the school board to put the students’ needs above their own and bring advisory back to improve their academic abilities. 

Senior Chuk Eke goes to library during lunch.

Some may believe lunch is enough of a break for students, and that bringing advisory back will leave students with too much time on their hands. However, having advisory and lunch back to back is actually better for not only the students, but the teachers as well. Lunch and advisory would make the day seem less rushed, reducing the amount of anxiety expressed by the students. Also, it would give teachers ample amount of time to take their own break and get their own tasks done. If the school board is still hesitant to bring advisory back, an extension of fourth period would be a start. Adding 30 minutes to the end of fourth period would give students time to get things done without missing important class time. To prevent the past mistake of students finding ways to skip advisory, special advisory passes could be made to let teachers know they shouldn’t be in the halls messing around. With a proper system and more authority, advisory can be brought back, and the problem with skipping can be exterminated.

Overall, the benefits outweigh the costs. The school board may believe students took advantage of advisory to fool around, and for some it may have been true, but the majority of the student body appreciated the extra time and deserve to have it once again. It wouldn’t be fair to disadvantage all students for the behavior of only a small percentage of them.